Where I see my Inquiry moving to in 2022

Considerations for my Inquiry focus in 2022 

I am highly passionate about Literacy across all year groups, my Inquiries have certainly helped to upskill and grow in this area. Over the years I have flipped between both Achievement objectives 2 and 3. Raising student achievement in either reading or writing they are both strongly linked.

Next year I’d like to continue to inquire into Achievement Objective two (lift achievement for boys in writing). I was on such a great roll creating a momentum building relationships with whānau and their child to improve their writing. I feel I have so many more avenues for effective feedback, while building whānau engagement.

This year to build these relationships I created a series of Writing Flexi Connects where the child and I were on one end of the google hangout at school and parents would be on the other end either at work or home. Their child shared what they had been working on, their learning intention and success criteria, what their feedback was and how they were going to work on their feedforward, all to improve the overall quality of their writing. This continued in lockdown, only this time flipped, the learner and their parent on one end sharing and myself on the other side. I see this as an opportunity created by the lockdown.

Evidence

I know this has been effective through Parent feedback has said that regular flexi connects in writing have helped them to support their child, have a better understanding of the writing progressions and supporting them to co-construct next steps with their child. 

Learners also benefited from feeling supporting and taking ownership of their writing and knowing their next steps. Showed in their writing samples.

Learning from 2017 - 2021 CoL Inquiries

I have been so fortunate to be working closely with my colleagues at Stonefields School Sammy Weir and Emma Clark, who were also inquiring into Achievement Objective 2, and seeing their Inquiries develop.

We lead professional development, encouraged our teams to created rich, real and authentic learning experiences to inspire writing in our school. These experienced helped to build oral language capabilities for our tāmariki. Resulting in richer vocabulary.

Support Manaiakalani pedagogy and  kaupapa

Leverage my learning design by fostering the Learn, Create. Share model and align it with Stonefields School's Learning process to build knowledge, make meaning and apply understanding.




                         

Share my knowledge and expertise across all schools, and learning communities, by talking about success, challenges sense make together. 

Manaiakalani research findings informing my Inquiry

I am continuing to be guided by the Manaiakalani research. Professor Rebecca Jesson research presentation of making sense of the the WFRC where she shared student achievement data. Powerful teaching conversation is an area I continue to be curious about and believe that the learning comes from sharing ideas in discussions.



Dr John Hattie Learning and Instruction talks about the value of effective instruction methods like feedback unlocks the access to learn to write. Which aligns with ‘power teaching conversations’ which aligns with learning by sharing in discussion 

Support I need and supporting my colleagues with THEIR inquiries

I would like ongoing opportunities to share practise in school, across schools and the with the CoL. Run professional development, and allow others to share their practise. Have my within school CoL leaders observe me, give me feedback and feedforward on my practise.

Work in unison with my CoL peers, by sharing our practise across the school and within our CoL. Be a part of the teaching and learning by modeling for others, team teaching, observing, providing them with feedback and feedforward.

One of wonderings from from my Inquiry this year is rather than writing flexi connects being an organised event, could it happen more organically, especially while learners are in the crafting and recrafting phase of their writing


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inquiry Causal Chain 2023

Inquiry Summary - Burst and Bubbles 2022

STOP - REFLECT - REFINE & TAKE ACTION